The poor man’s “filet” oscar is a fun spin on the classic filet oscar, you know, the one found at all the american fine dining restaurants with a beef tenderloin filet, lump crab meat and bearnaise sauce. One of my favorite meals, for sure, but on the average day, making this meal can break the bank!
My newest version uses a grilled portobello mushroom as the base, then has a red potato cake (which could simply be mashed potatoes), then a big juicy hamburger, resting on top some grilled tilapia (you could use any fish or seafood really) and finally drizzled with warm tarragon clarified butter! So simple and inexpensive, but this meal will satisfy your expensive cravings!
4 large portobello mushrooms, stem removed, use a spoon to scrape out the the black stuff, rinse
8 medium red potatoes, quartered, washed
2 Tbls+ 3/4 cup clarified butter or ghee
1/4 cup Daiya cheese, mozzerella flavor
2 tsp chives, fresh chopped or 1 tsp dried
1.5 lbs(24oz) freshly ground beef
2 (4-5oz) filets tilapia, wild is best
2 Tbls all-purpose seasoning- 1 Tbls sea salt, 1/2 Tbls pepper, 1/2 Tbls garlic, granulated
1 Tbls tarragon, fresh or 1/2 Tbls dried
1Tbls+2 tsp olive oil
1. Place the potatoes in a 2 quart sauce pot, cover with water by about 1.5 inches, place over medium high heat, boil until easily fork tender
2. Drizzle 1 Tbls of olive oil over the mushrooms, then season with 1 tsp of all-purpose seasoning, set aside
3. Drizzle 2 tsp of olive oil over the fish filets, then season with 1 tsp of all-purpose, set aside
4. Make 4 – 6oz hamburger patties, season on both sides with 2 tsp of all-purpose
5. Heat the grill, make sure grates are clean, when hot place the mushrooms, top side down, on the grill. If you have room add the hamburgers and the fish. Cook to your desired doneness
6. When the potatoes are done, drain them well and add 2 Tbls of clarified butter, daiya cheese, chives and 1 tsp of all-purpose seasoning, mash together. If you want to go the extra mile you can form them into patties (4) and heat some ghee or oil on the griddle and sear them on each side. But I just happened to have extras from another event when I made this dish 🙂
7. Warm the rest of clarified butter with the tarragon
8. Now it time to stack…mushroom (cap side down), then potato layer, then burger, then fish and lastly pour the tarragon butter on top! Voila!