This is such a fun Cake to make for Easter, and in this case, was also my baby girls’ first birthday! Thank you Mikita Burton of Fox 4 news for the idea on making this! I made two batches of this recipe, which made one 9 inch cake round and 17 mini cup cakes. My 3 year old son and I had so much fun preparing this together (while the baby grabbed whatever sweets that she could get her hands on :)).
The cake ended up very rich and chocolatey. You could add nuts, chocolate chips, coconut or even re-hydrated-dried cherries. This batter is very versatile and could be used to make brownies, cookies, cake (just place in a small round pan) or cupcakes. In this case, I didn’t add anything to the batter, since the goal was to add the fun decoration to the top. You can use any recipe of your choice to make the frosting (vanilla or chocolate) to work as the “glue” for the toppings.
1/2 cup Clarified butter or Ghee
1/2 cup Cocoa powder
2 ounces Chocolate, unsweetened, use a good quality dairy free (cocoa butter is fine)
1/3 cup + 2 T Xylitol
1/3 cup Coconut palm sugar
1/3 cup Buckwheat flour
1/3 cup Amaranth flour
2 each Cage free eggs or egg substitue
1/2 teaspoon baking powder, gluten free
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
5 ounces coconut, shredded, unsweetened
1 Tablespoon green food coloring, organic
1/2 cup water
20 each jelly beans, of choice
1. Melt clarified butter, cocoa, chocolate and 1/3 cup of xylitol over low heat. When mixture is smooth, remove from heat.
2. Place eggs in mixer, add palm sugar, beat with whisk for 3-4 minutes
3. Sift together, then stir flours, baking powder and salt to the chocolate.
4. Slowly add chocolate mixture to the egg mixture while mixing
5. Mix on low for 2 minutes
6. Spoon batter into silicone mold of choice
7. Bake at 350 for 17-20 minutes.
9. Frost the top of the cookie cake with frosting of choice
10. In a bowl, mix food coloring, 2 T xylitol and water. Then add coconut and mix until all coconut is green
11. Evenly sprinkle onto cookie cake
12. “Hide the Easter eggs”, jelly beans, in the “grass” and serve