I try to add Flax Seeds to as many food items as possible. Marinating chicken breasts with flax seeds adds a wonderfully nutty flavor that is quite magical. I had some leftover citrus vinaigrette from another meal and I used it as the marinade for my chicken. Then I added golden flax seeds to the marinade. The results were delicious and I used the vinaigrette again as the sauce. If you don’t have leftover citrus vinaigrette, I have included instructions on making a quick citrus marinade that will do the trick.
This is a versatile chicken marinade/recipe that you can use in many different ways: slice for salads, chop for composed salad, sandwiches, taco bar or pair with a different sauce and/or side dish to create a whole new meal. I like to make this protein in bulk over the weekend and use it throughout the week. In this picture I paired the chicken with grilled zucchini and onion.
4 each Chicken breasts, trimmed, organic
1 Tbls All-purpose seasoning (1/2 Tbls sea salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp garlic, granulated)
1 each lemon, zested & juiced
1 each lime, zested & juiced
2 Tbls Golden Flax Seeds
2 Tbls Oil, mild like Grapeseed, Canola or Safflower
1 Tbls Parsley, fine chopped, fresh
1. Combine all ingredients and toss together until the chicken is well coated
2. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes, longer if possible under refrigeration
3. Heat the grill and place the chicken presentation side down first (or the side that would normally have the skin on it)
4. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the chicken releases itself from the grill
5. Rotate 90 degrees (don’t flip yet), cook another 2-3 minutes or as stated above
6. Flip now, cook another 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
7. Remove and allow to rest for a couple minutes before serving/cutting/storing