This recipe is super fun to do with kids! It is Gluten, Dairy, Corn, Soy, Nut and Egg free, No Sugar Added, Vegan! Plus it’s Low Carb, High Protein and rich in Good Fats. You will even make your own natural food coloring! These are a hot item on Easter and no one will even know that they are healthy! Check out my Fox 4 tv segment about them.
“Easter Egg Hunt” Chocolate Cupcakes – Gluten Free Style!
1/2 cup Coconut oil, Organic Cold Pressed
1/2 cup Cocoa powder
2oz + 8oz Chocolate, use a good quality dairy free, I like Enjoy Life brand as it is readily available, made with simple ingredients and it’s dairy, nut, corn and soy free too
2/3 cup + 2 T Birchwood Xylitol
2/3 cup Garbanzo flour
2 TBLS Ground Flax Seeds, used as the egg replacer, if using eggs, use 2 each, free range
1/2 cup water, to mix with flax
1/2 tsp baking powder, gluten free
1/2 tsp sea salt
5 ounces coconut, shredded, unsweetened
2 cups Spinach leaves, fresh, to make green food coloring
1/2 cup water, for extracting green color from spinach
20 each jelly beans, preferably all-natural ingredients
1. In the blender combine, spinach and 1/2 cup of water, blend until smooth
2. Allow spinach mixture to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, while preparing the cake
3. Melt coconut oil, cocoa, chocolate and 1/3 cup of xylitol over low heat. When mixture is smooth, remove from heat.
4. In a small, sealable container, mix flax seeds with 1/2 cup of water, shake vigorously, this forms a gel
5. Pour flax gel into the mixing bowl, add 1/3 cup of xylitol, beat with whisk attachment for 3-4 minutes
6. Sift baking powder and salt to the chocolate.
7. Sift flour into chocolate mixture, stir gently
8. Slowly add chocolate mixture to the flax mixture while mixing
9. Mix on low for 2 minutes
10. Spoon batter into a lined muffin tin, makes approximately 12
11. Bake at 350 for 17-20 minutes.
12. While cupcakes are baking, strain the spinach mixture with a fine tooth strainer, extracting the green coloring
13. Remove cupcakes from oven and cool
14. Meanwhile, gently fold together the shredded coconut, green coloring and 1T of xylitol
18. Melt 8 oz of chocolate
16. Spoon about 1 TBLS of melted chocolate on each cupcake, sprinkle with green shredded coconut, and “Hide the Eggs” by decorating with jelly beans on top